But the debate remains. Does the harm of the subject, being relatively mild, outweigh the benefits of her enjoying reading? Neither Crit nor I are readers, so I'd like to encourage it where I can.
Hopping off my vent now....
Last Sunday, I took the girl to her first musical. Junie B Jones. Three friends and their first-grade daughters all attended, as well. The idea of the "mother daughter date" was nice. Certainly something we need to do more often. And I'll give the musical a little more props than the books... It had it's moments. I think I even laughed in a few spots. {Although, I'm not sure how I feel about their portrayal of the Hispanic boy. Funny to me, but my girl is watching remember... another vent for another time} But overall, I am not sure she was very impressed. I'm sure the Sprite and Skittles made more of an impression. Just walking through downtown Austin's streets with my girl's hand in mine, answering her million and a half questions, made it all worth it!

1 comment:
If it makes you feel any better, I told my daughter I didn't want her reading them and why. A few months later she was thrilled beyond all imagination when she got one for her birthday from my mother. Funny.. she still hasn't read it and that was 2 years ago! Now the brattiest girl on the block reads these non-stop. Hmmmm.... correlation???? Maybe.
Post a Comment