Jun 22, 2007

My green tinted thumb.

As I've mentioned before, I've never had the best luck with plants. Vegetation, as a rule, hates me. However, as of late I've ventured outside with my green thumb attempts. With risk to jinxing to my recent good fortune, I wanted to share...

My wonderful in-laws graciously brought me 4 crape myrtles. When the plants arrived they were in shock. And why shouldn't they be. They had been dug up from their moist lush Houston earth, thrown into a pot, and hauled up into this much drier heat... the poor babies. Not wanting to shock them further, I left them in their new plastic homes and positioned them where they would eventually be transplanted. I ritually watered them. Weeks went by and I was just about to give up hope when suddenly I noticed new leaves! On not just one or two, but rather all four plants!

A few weeks later I, with my weakling little arms, dug a gigantic hole all by my lonesome. The ground here is almost solely comprised of rock so this was no easy task! I was sore for days. Several weeks went by before I finally got around to moving the plant over. I am awfully proud of it! Now just 3 more to go (sigh....)


Today as I was escorting the dogs out to their run, I noticed that my plants really do love me. They have flowered! Well, one has flowered. But I am beyond excited!!


Not quite ready for roses and organic gardens but I'll get there!

post signature

2 comments:

Jamielouwho said...

Yay!!!!! It's a perfect year for transplanting, all this rain is soooo nice.

Anonymous said...

A common cause of blooming out of season is stress. A stressed plant will bloom in hopes of reproducing before death...