
Why did I take a picture of my dinner? Because it was sooooo tasty! I have gotten into a horrible habit of skipping meals. Mainly breakfast. What tends to happen is that I wake up around 9ish and stumble down to prepare my beloved mocha. I'm pretty sure there should be another word for it. Any mocha I've purchased at the local coffee houses has been (as it's intended) coffee with a bit of cocoa in it. Mine? Some sort of bold bean coffee, brewed so strong that my husband complains it can stand on end mid pour, mixed with two (or three...*blush*) heaping (oooh yes, heaping) tablespoons (you're reading that right) of "chocolate lovers" hot chocolate mix. So really it's not coffee at all anymore. But it is a physical necessity at this point. See... research suggests chocolate has health benefits. At least this was the report I *clung* to when I was pregnant and my hubby hassled me on my chocolate intake. (Don't ask how bad it was. It was borderline shocking!) And if research states it, how can I argue, right? Now, in true family tradtion (sorry mom... you know it's true) I choose to only hear what I want, when it serves me. The research also contained some bogus claims that chocolate cravings may be a symptom of addiction. And that chocolate contains the same 'happy' chemicals found in some recreational drugs. I will conveniently not hear this and push it out of my mind. Especially with my history of addictive personality issues! I refuse to think that chocolate has any unhealthy properties. Chocolate was sent by the Gods especially for me and all woman kind.
At any rate... my thick massive mug of morning coffee turns into breakfast. Lunch time comes and I gorge on food... making me not hungry for dinner until quite late. So between no breakfast, overstuffed lunches and dinners so late I am forced to digest in my sleep... it's no wonder that I have gained 14 pounds in the last two months! Something I've never ever done except when pregnant. Being parked in front of my computer half of every day editing for work doesn't help either, I'm sure. I actually had to go buy bigger pants a few weeks ago! This sent me into a state of alert! And getting into my bathing suit the other day for the first time since our beach trip pushed me over the edge...
So now I'm on a mission to get a bit healthier.... without giving up my coffees of course. I'm going to be moving to a more vegetarian diet, smaller portions for lunch and rejoining the gym should all help. It's a start anyway. I'm not sure how healthy my dinner above was. Brown rice, black beans, salsa and cheddar cheese.. I just know that I used to eat this a lot back in my crunchier vegetarian Whole Food working days and I was a twig then. So it seemed like a good choice. I bet I couldn't pay my kids to eat like this though, maybe not even Critter. So I'll have get creative. Wish me luck! I think I'll need it!!

3 comments:
Mmmm, that looks so yummy! I'd say healthy indeed!
If it makes you feel any better, I've gained 20 (!!!) in the past year. Once I allowed myself to actually step on the scale to discover it a few weeks ago I decided to make some changes too! Bought a treadmill, decided eating breakfast might help, and here we go. Point being, I feel your pain!
I'll be rootin' for ya' Mollie! At least you caught the gain at 14lbs rather than my wiggly, jiggly 35! I've still got 10-15 to go, but I'm making steady, if not slow, progress. :0)
That dinner looks just fine. Nothing wrong with brown rice, beans and salsa. And cheese is fine too if kept in small doses, which it looks like you did. :0)
You need to add a little somethin' to that coffee in the morning, though. Try a Kashi Go Lean bar - tasty (all three flavors have CHOCOLATE in them!), reasonably healthy and easy to grab and eat. Or some whole wheat toast or a bowl of cereal (whole grain). Those just take a bit longer to have ready to munch on.
YUM. This is actually one of my favorite easy meals..not a hit with hubby, but my kids like it too!
Post a Comment