Mar 13, 2007

Mispronunciations of a two year old

Little J speaks very well for a two year old. He has full little sentences. Very cute. He tries to talk in such detail that occasionally he'll say to me "Mom, I don't know the words". I find it amazing that he even vocalizes that! But, along with his exceptional vocabulary comes mispronunciations. I tend to not correct them as I find them adorable. Crit prefers we not allow this. But then again, he doesn't like Baby Bear on Sesame Street thinking our children will develop a lisp! (heh) When J says to me "My big tithter has nastics" (gymnastics), I answer "yes she does". Critter however will repeat the sentence with the proper words accentuated. He really hates it when I am speaking to J and pronounce the word in Little J lingo. Course you know I mainly do this to annoy my 12yoMan ;)

J knows the names of three little friends his age. First there is Ally. No problems there. Then there is Simon, which in Jordanese is said "Timon". Finally there is Seth. Now one would think that since he replaces the S with a T for Timon, that Seth would be addressed as Teth... right? Well of course not. That would make too much sense. We call him Deth. Yah, I don't get it either. I know we rarely have S'es on the beginning of words but pick a consonant to replace it with!

Backing up now, Crit had a hockey game this evening. He was telling us before he left about his last game in which one of his sticks broke and the end with the new blade he just bought went flying across the ice. This story was all demonstrated for us and it seems Little J was taking notes. After Crit left, J was being sad asking "ware ith my big tithter", "ware ith my dad". I told him that A went to see Daddy's hockey game with Uncle Paul and Mariana. He cheered instantly and proceeded to launch into the story for me as if I hadn't heard it before. I must say that as comical as Crit's stories are, J's version was much more interesting. I mean, hearing about how Daddy "only has one (insert one of two beginning consonants here)ick" and he lost his other one" just had me in tears! This was the first time I had the overwhelming desire to correct the boy!

post signature

1 comment:

D said...

LOL! That is too funny! Yes, I wish he'd pick a better consonant for Kiddo too - oh well, he'll learn.

I was just telling Hubby the other day I was sad because Kiddo is starting to pronounce some things correctly now. I loved his Kiddospeak and will miss it terribly. Why can't he call the Incredibles "baybuhls" forever? ;)