The naked mole rat is uniquely known as the only mammal that is virtually cold-blooded; it cannot regulate its body temperature at all and requires an environment with a specific constant temperature in order to survive. I am here to dispute this statement because I certainly do not keep a constant core temperature and last I checked... I am a mammal. At this moment, the heater is set on 72. Considerably higher than anyone else I know keeps it and a source of upset for the 12yoMan as he seems to always be sweaty because of me. Currently Little J is wearing a short sleeve shirt and a pair of fuzzibunz. Sweebee is wearing an entirely too small nightgown, complaining she is hot as usual. Me? I am in winter PJ bottoms, thick fuzzy socks, my AIC t-shirt and a jacket... and I am STILL cold! My fingers and toes are ice. When I get in the shower, I turn the heat up so high that it literally stings. Freak of nature that I am, this causes me to get goose-bumps! And I can guarantee you that for at least 2 hours afterwards I will be whining that I am hot. At bedtime I am always cold, even with my sleep pants and extra 'made for cancer patients in the infusion room' blanket. Then a few hours of sleep later, I wake up sweating and cursing, throwing all the extra garments in a heap onto the floor. By morning? You guessed it, I am a Popsicle again. If I hadn't always been this way I would be submitting myself to medical science as an example of early menopause! So where do I go to report this travesty that I am now the second known mammal to be cold-blooded? The only bright spot, if you can call it that, is that with Global Warming? I'll be the last standing in the world, probably next to a buncha cockroaches, because we will be the only distorted creatures able to withstand the heat!

1 comment:
LOL! OMG - I think we were seperated at birth! ;) Right now it is 68 degrees in my house. Kiddo is in a t-shirt and diaper, Hubby is in a t-shirt and undies, and I am in a long sleeved shirt, a sweat shirt over that, a pair of tights with sweat pants over those and 2 pairs of socks. I am FREEZING!!!
We should move to someplace very, very warm - Arizona? Jamaica?
;)
D
Post a Comment