Feb 17, 2007

Saturday Photo Scavenger hunt #5: Antique


Mother instincts? Nesting? Call it what you will. When I was pregnant with my first I had the overwhelming desire to learn to cross-stitch a blanket. Far outside the box from my norm but I just had to do it. So of course my first stop is eBay, my primary shopping source. I could have used anything but I 'required' an old lady antiquie-type bag. Voila!


The bag came from a little old lady. Her grand daughter was auctioning off her estate after her passing. I can't recall the exact happenings but as the story goes, Grandma accidentally pricked her finger while trying to quickly finish mittens for her husband who was shipping out during WWII. The blood is dried on the handles of the bag. Now whether this was her creative way of selling something with an interesting history more successfully or not, it worked on me.



I do not think this pattern and fabric could be more antique if it tried!

3 comments:

PowersTwinB said...

ewwwie...blood on the handle! lol...I cross stitch baby crib blankets. I have one on my blog I finished,..I think I am at 13 or 14 now..they take me abot 3-6 months each...but everyone loves them...My photo hunt is up, please come and visit

Andree said...

I love your bag. It reminds me of mine (when I had one). I was thinking that if my grandmother had bled on something, I wouldn't sell it! But it's a great story!

LibertyBelle said...

That is a beautiful bag! Good choice for the theme and wonderful craftmanship!
Have a great weekend!
Mine's up!
L