Mar 19, 2008

Notes from Kindergarten....

"Dear parents, Culminating our study on oviparous animals, we will be having an "Egg Gathering" on Friday March 28th. Please send 12 filled eggs to school...." yadda yadda yadda

Really? REALLY??
I am certainly all for keeping the church OUT of the schools. But that is certainly stretching PCness (thats not a word I know but it works here) to the limit! Funny and sad in the same moment.

Miss A really doesn't have a grasp on any of the religious meanings in Holidays, other than the commercial aspects of it. That is something we'll allow her to explore when her mind is capable of grasping ALL forms of world religion. After all... every one of them think they have the only answer and all the rest are wrong. I've come to the conclusion that if they all think they are right, they must therefore all be wrong. I have my own spiritual knowings, personal and meaningful to me, and my darling hubby has none. He accepts me and my feelings and I accept him. We are not going to start pushing our own beliefs now on a mind that accepts flying reindeer and giant easter bunnies as real beings. They'll believe anything at these tender ages.


What is Easter anyway? I know what I was "taught" as a child. But what about the rest? I know it is easy to get confused on the subject. Is it a celebration of fancy colored eggs layed by a magical rabbit? Is it a time to remember the death and rising of Jesus? Maybe both of these are true. It is typical that between two extreme theories... generally the truth lies somewhere in the middle. After some serious thought, I have decided the exact middle point of these two stories....

Jesus Bunny of Nazareth, known for performing miracles, laid chocolate eggs. That's right kids. Isn't he amazing? He formed a fuzzy posse of 12 other bunnies and they all hopped around Israel giving chocolate eggs to all the children on a chosen day of the year.

I'm curious what other spins Hallmark and the like can put on Holidays in 100 years. And we as consumers soak it alllllll in....

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An egg gathering, huh? That's too funny!