Jun 15, 2007

Wild Connections Butterfly Farm and Nature Center

Today our playgroup made a field trip out to Wild Connections Butterfly Farm and Nature Center. I've been looking forward to this trip for months. As those close to me know, I love love butterflies! Our trip originally got canceled due to rain. And after we were out there an hour or so today, we were praying for a random rain cloud. It was so so hot! 94 degrees on their thermostat, with little breeze. But this didn't spoil anyone's fun!

Kiddos heading down the path to the farm.



Fish/flower pond. This place had a great ambiance!



This is from inside the butterfly house. It was cute, the kids had fun. I must add that it in no way compared to the Houston butterfly exhibit, which is one of my favorite places to be.





Disappointingly it seems the house did not have but one type of butterfly. Black with yellow and blue spots. But the finding of this flower made my day! I've email the owners of the farm to figure out what kind it is. Isn't it beautiful?



And to make my trip completely photographically worthwhile, I found this amazing little guy. His close up shots are amazing. So colorful. All his little body hair clear and visable and a crisp view of his ladybug print eyes. I'll be submitting this shot somewhere I'm sure! I heart my camera!!



As this trip in my mind was mainly for my own pleasure (heh) The kids had a great time exploring too. Miss A loved playing with her friends. I honestly think she could care less about where she is or whether J and I are with her, she only wants to mingle. Such the social bee. I caught one shot of her here and this was the most I saw of her. Thanks much to her friend's mommies who kept an eye on her for me!!



Little J enjoyed anything with water. He watched the tadpoles and minnows much longer than I thought his attention spanned. There was a turtle inside the stream that ran through the butterfly house. It was much work on my part to keep him from picking the flowers and throwing them at the poor guy.



Then we set off on our hike into the woods. As mentioned above, miss A was racing up and down the paths with her little girlfriends having a great time. It gave me an amazing opportunity for some one on one nature adventure time with my baby boy. We really had so much fun looking for markers, watching birds and bugs and playing in the stream. I felted so happy to have had this time!











After our hike we cooled off in the shade at the farm, had lunch and bought some silly souvenirs before heading home. I found the craziest plant, growing out of an oversized cactus that we dubbed "The Dr. Suess Tree". There was nothing like it around.



post signature

1 comment:

D said...

Great pictures! Glad you guys had fun. That last one looks like a Century Plant - it's part of the agave family. They live about 25 years and then once they bloom like that they die.

Great post!
D