
I'm not real sure where to begin. I happened upon this roll off my BF's blog and thought to myself How Cool! If I could use improvement anywhere, it would be in this area. I feel daily as though I get angry, hour after hour, for every little thing they do wrong. Yet when they do something good, it goes by unnoticed. No praise is given. Why should it be expected by me when they aren't encouraged? Why would they want to become good people if no one appears to care? At this point, in their mind, the only attention for their behavior is when they are bad, so why not continue to seek it? If I can focus more on the good and comment more on the good, then that should encourage the good right? This isn't rocket science. Why am I just not touching on this?
But no sooner did I copy the code over onto my page did I end up discouraged. I started to think about the past couple days. What was something inspiring that I could write about from the last week? I may not have commented to them when it happened (as I am newly committed to this) but there must have been something that happened. Then I realized that I was searching my brain for something fantastic in comparison to the subject that originally inspired me to what to do this. My friend Jamie's daughter is an amazing little girl. But I have to keep in mind that her mom has been practicing this behavior with her for many years AND she is 10 years old. A is 5. I cannot expect her to behave in the manner a 10 year old does. Keeping that in mind, I thought of something she did last weekend.
Recently I was cooking dinner and the kids were in the game room. This room has the most clear center area of any room in the house so A will go in there a lot to practice her gymnastics. Two weeks ago, Jordan and I a started Mom and Tots gymnastics class, or 'nastics' as he calls it. It was awfully quiet in the other room and that is never a good thing. Off I go to check out what they're into. When I peeked in however, I did not see them swinging from the ceiling lamps. I see my girl helping him do front rolls, and 'standstands' as dubbed by little J. And I hear her saying to him that he 'will really get to impress Ms Kathy on Tuesday with this' and in her best cheerleader voice 'aren't you soooo excited for gymnastics?' clapping and cheering for each move he completes.
I have to think that this is learned. If there is one part in her life that I really energize her on it's gymnastics. I watch every practice instead of workout like the other moms (although this may not be a good thing, heh!). I just have to see her. She is so good. I am so proud. I tell her so too after every class. And here I see her passing the inspiritment on to her brother? This can only be point proven to me that this type of boosting will aid her as she grows. This may be the best thing I have ever started...


4 comments:
Oh our kids are sponges, aren't they? They learn far more from us than we would ever think is possible.
Good for you to pass the torch in such an important way.
And I'm so happy to see you've joined us for PTT!!
Oh Mollie, you do more than you know! I'm so glad you're doing PTT! This is going to be so good for us!
kids just cannot get enough praise. There's nothing sadder or more debilitating than letting a child grow up without it. AND, you just have no idea what a wonderful mom you are...and this from a mother-in-law!
Hey Mollie - this was my spotlight post this week - email me and I'll send you the magnet and sidebar button.
Congratulations!
Post a Comment